In preparation for a busy 2022 season, Triathlon BC is hosting a draft certification clinic in Kelowna on Sunday, May 8th. This clinic is for young athletes (14 – 19 yrs) who are interested in learning the necessary skills to pursue draft legal competition. Draft legal certification from Triathlon BC is recognized by Triathlon Canada and internationally, and is a critical skill in Triathlon Canada’s Gold Medal Profile, and a required competency in Triathlon BC’s performance pathway.
WHAT: Senior, certified cycling coaches will instruct athletes on proper techniques related to draft legal racing. The course promises to cover how to safely:
- Ride in a peloton / paceline environment
- Rotate positions within a paceline
- Signal to communicate within a paceline
- Position hands on the handlebars, maximizing safety
- Employ emergency maneuvers and proper braking procedures within a paceline
- Remove, drink, and replace water bottle while riding in a paceline
- Use all gears effectively
- Apply proper cornering techniques
- Apply seated and standing climbing techniques
- Apply the ‘long and low’ position to maximize aerodynamic efficiency
Athletes demonstrating relevant competencies will receive a Certificate issued by Triathlon BC upon completion of this clinic.
Pr-requisite: This clinic aims to build upon the skillset of athletes that already have basic cycling competencies in place. Athletes will be cycling in a pack environment; all participants attending Draft Clinics must already possess basic cycling competencies.
Please note: The use of a road-specific bike with drop bars is required. Mountain bikes, and time trail specific bicycles are not permitted. Only bicycles in good functional maintenance will be permitted.
VICTORIA CLINIC DETAILS: