Triathlon BC is hosting a draft clinic in Vernon on May 4. This clinic is for young athletes (13-19 yrs) who are interested in learning the necessary skills to pursue draft legal certification. Draft legal certification from Triathlon BC is recognized by Triathlon Canada and internationally, and is a critical skill in Triathlon Canada’s Gold Medal Profile.
WHAT: Senior, certified cycling coaches will instruct athletes on proper techniques related to draft legal racing. The course promises to cover how to safely:
- Ride in a peloton / paceline environment
- Rotate positions within a paceline
- Signal to communicate within a paceline
- Position hands on the handlebars, maximizing safety
- Employ emergency maneuvers and proper braking procedures within a paceline
- Remove, drink, and replace water bottle while riding in a paceline
- Use all gears effectively
- Apply proper cornering techniques
- Apply seated and standing climbing techniques
Athletes demonstrating relevant competencies will receive a Certificate issued by Triathlon BC.
Pre-requisite: This clinic aims to build upon the skillset of athletes that already have basic cycling competencies in place. Athletes will be cycling in a pack environment; all participants attending Draft Clinics must possess basic cycling competencies. The use of a road-specific bike with drop bars is required. Mountain bikes, and time trail specific bicycles are not permitted.
VERNON CLINIC DETAILS:
- Date: May 4, 2019
- Time: 11am – 2pm
- Location: Sun Country Cycle (1340 Kalamalka Lake Rd, Vernon, BC V1T 6V2)
- Instructor: Laura Medcalf
- Cost: $20 for Triathlon BC Members