2022 BC Summer Games Zone Qualification – Updated May 17, 2022
As a result of the cancellation of the 2020 BC Summer Games, Triathlon BC has given a great deal of consideration to the impact of the pandemic on the athletes who would have attended the 2020 games. With that consideration, BC Games Society has approved for Triathlon BC to revise the age group that will be eligible for the 2022 Summer Games and preliminary discussions have begun to revise the age groups for the 2024 Summer Games.
We recognize the importance of BC Games as a high quality competition opportunity that sets the stage for entering into the high performance pathway. Therefore, three-year age groups will be in place for the 2022 and 2024 games. (2022: 15-17yrs and 2024: 14-16yrs) This will ensure that athletes will not miss the opportunity to attend the BC Summer Games event.
To ensure an equitable competition experience for all athletes, Triathlon BC will further breakdown the 2022 eligible age group and select athletes within two age groups:
- Male and Females 15yrs old
- Male and Females 16-17yrs old.
These age and gender categories will also be use for awards at the BC Summer Games.
It is the priority of Triathlon BC to fill all quota spots for the BC Summer Games.
All athletes will be required to submit a BC Games Expression of Interest Form. Click Here to submit your BC Games Expression of Interest Form.
BC Summer Games Information
As per the BC Summer Games Technical Package the following parameters regarding Zone Selection apply to Triathlon:
- BC Summer Games Information
- July 21-24, 2022
- Prince George
- Triathlon’s venue is West Lake Park
- Athlete Eligibility
- Athletes must be annual members of Triathlon BC for the 2022 season to qualify as BC Summer Games Athletes. Athletes must be active members prior to competing in the qualifying event
- Submit the Athlete Expression of Interest Form (Click Here)
- All athletes must be fully vaccinated (14 days past 2nd vaccine dose) to participate in the 2022 BC Summer Games – NO LONGER REQUIRED
- Triathlon Events at the Games
- Sprint Triathlon (400m Swim/ 10km Bike/ 3km Run)
- Super Sprint Mixed Relay (Distances TBC)
- Duathlon (1km Run/6km Bike/ 1km Run)
- F1 Triathlon (200m Swim/ 4km Bike/ 1km Run)
- Aquathlon (1km Run/ 300m Swim/ 1km Bike)
- Eligible Age Group
- 15 – 17 years of age as of December 31, 2022 (Birth Years 2005, 2006, 2007)
- Race Age Groups – Based On Standard Age Categories
- 15 yrs of age (Male and Female)
- 16-17yrs of age (Male and Female)
- Zone Team Composition
- 4 competitors (no more than 3 of one gender) per zone. Through the identified selection process Triathlon BC will select 1 male and 1 female from each zone in each age group. If, due to low participation, 2 males and 2 females cannot be selected, three of one gender may be selected.
- 20 wildcard spots (no more than 11 of one gender)
- Wildcard spots are not zone specific. Triathlon BC has created a policy to allocate these spots to each zone to ensure fairness. Please refer to the policy below.
- Zone Qualification Events
- All qualifying must occur before Monday, June 13, 2022
- Games Registration Deadline
- All participants must be registered with BC Games by June 20, 2022
- Registration link will be provided to the selected athletes
For the 2022 BC Summer Games, Triathlon BC will follow the Qualification procedure outlined below.
Target Races & Dates:
Below is a list of targeted zone races for the BC Summer Games. Athletes looking to qualify for the 2022 Summer Games should plan on participating in these races this spring. We encourage athletes to attend as many races as possible, but please attend the races for your specified zone.
|Date||Race||Location||Zone Qualifier||Race Director|
|May 15, 2022||West Shore Youth Triathlon||Island||Zone 6||Rob Dibden|
|May 23, 2022||North Shore Triathlon||Lower Mainland||Zones 3, 4, 5||Peter Denny|
|May 29, 2022||Shoreline Orthodontics||Island||Zones 3,4,5,6||Terry Hooper|
|June 5, 2022||BV Pool Triathlon||North West||Zone 7||Kayla Watrich|
|June 11, 2022||WASA Triathlon||Kootenays||Zones 1,2||Barb Fode|
|To be confirmed||Time Trials||Prince George||Zone 8||Clayton Wilkinson|
|June 12, 2022||Victoria Youth Triathlon||Victoria||All Zones||Rob Dibden|
Qualifying Events: The events identified above will act as the selection event for each Zone (pending approval from race director & zone representatives).
West Shore Youth Triathlon (May 15): The fastest male and fastest female in each age group will be selected to be a part of the Zone 6 team.
North Shore Triathlon (May 23): The fastest male and fastest female in each age group will be selected to be a part of their respective zone team (Zone 3, 4 and 5).
Shoreline Orthodontics Triathlon (May 29): This race will act as the rolldown and wildcard race for the Zone 3, 4, 5 and 6 teams. Zone spots not taken at the West Shore Youth Triathlon (Zone 6), and zone spots not take at the North Shore Triathlon (Zones 3, 4, 5), will rolldown and be available at this event. Additionally, Wildcard spots are available based on the Wildcard Allocation*.
BV Triathlon (June 5): The fastest male and fastest female in each age group will be selected to be a part of the Zone 7 team. This race will also act as the rolldown and wildcard race for the Zone 7 team, based on the Wildcard Allocation*.
WASA Triathlon (June 11): The fastest male and fastest female in each age group will be selected to be a part of the Zone 7 team. This race will also act as the rolldown and wildcard race for the Zone 7 team, based on the Wildcard Allocation*.
Victoria Youth Triathlon (June 12) All Zones Wildcard Qualifier: Highest ranking athletes, who have not already qualified for BC Summer Games, will have to opportunity to qualify for a remaining Wild Card spots at this event. Wildcard spots are available based on the Wildcard Allocation.*
*Wildcard Allocation: For the 2022 BC Summer Games, there are twenty (20) wildcard spots available.
Zone Wildcards: 16
- 8 Zone Wildcard spots will be allocated to 16-17yr age group with equal representation to each gender
- 8 Zone Wildcard spots will be allocated to 15yr age group with equal representation to each gender
- Level of Competitiveness will be used to select athletes for these quota spots*
Provincial Wildcards: 4
- Two Male and Two Female (no age specification)
- 2021 Triathlon BC SuperSeries winners will be allocated wildcard spots in their respective zones
- 2020 BC Summer Games – Athletes who were previously selected for the 2020 BC Summer Games who have not qualified within the above qualification guidelines will be eligible for selection based on their level of “Competitiveness” from the 2022 qualifying events.
- SuperSeries #3 qualification
Triathlon BC reserves the right to re-allocate any unused Zone Wildcard Spots to the Provincial Wildcard spots.
Last Chance Qualification:
If Zone and Wildcard spots still exist after all above qualification events are completed, athletes will have the opportunity to submit an application which will require time entry for a 200M swim and a 1500m run. Video Link must be included with submission. Priority for Last Chance Qualification spots will go to under represented zones.
Deadline for submission: June 12, 2022 Midnight
Click here to submit the Last Chance Qualification Form
*Example of “Competitiveness”: The top finishing time of race #1 is 00:58:51 and the average time differential between finishers 1-5 is 00:1:04. The top finishing race time of race #2 is 1:01:00 and the time differential between finishers 1-5 is 0:00:40. Even though race #1 was completed slightly faster, the time differential between competitors 1-5 was closer in race #2 and therefore race #2 is deemed to be the more “competitive” race.
Questions: Please contact Juli at email@example.com if you have any questions regarding this document and the BC Summer Games Selection process.
DUE: JUNE 12, 2022 MIDNIGHT