Mary Leliveld Bursary Fund Accepting Applications
Mary Leliveld loved amateur athletics. She was a competitive runner, cyclist, and triathlete who competed for Canada on the Canadian National Triathlon team at the World Triathlon Championships in 2001, 2003 and 2004. In addition to being a top age group athlete, she inspired others to achieve their dreams through sport.
One of the ways her friends and family hope to honor Mary’s life is with a bursary fund. The directive of this fund is to help deserving athletes get to competitions they otherwise might not be able to race in.
Specifically, the fund will help pay for race fees, travel and accommodations of athletes who are recommended by Triathlon British Columbia.
The three types of beneficiaries of the fund are:
- Age group athletes who have qualified for the Canadian World Championship Team in the sprint, standard or long distance disciplines.
- High Performance athletes in the pursuit of excellence, with ambitions to qualify for National Teams, or for travel to ITU or National level events.
- Youth and Junior athletes performing at the local, regional and provincial level.
Guidelines for the disbursement of the fund are as follows:
- Triathlon BC will disburse a minimum of $500 total once each year.
- No disbursement will be less than $250.
- At least one disbursement will go to an age group athlete traveling to the World Championships.
- A second disbursement may be given to a junior or elite athlete to assist with the cost of travel to races that would allow them to progress in the sport. These will be given on a discretionary basis, based on funds available.
- The review committee will consist of a minimum of one board member and one member of the triathlon community.
All applicants should meet the following criteria:
- A Triathlon BC member in good standing.
- A resident of BC for the past year, and a Canadian Citizen or Landed Immigrant.
- Show dedication to our sport through participation in Triathlon BC sanctioned local and provincial events, or in the case of High Performance athletes, ITU sanctioned sprint or standard distance events, in the 2016 season.
In addition, applicants for the World Championship-related disbursements should also meet the following criteria:
- Have qualified for the World Championships as a Triathlon BC member.
- Provide a letter confirming qualification and participation issued on behalf of Triathlon Canada.
Funding applicants can submit an expression of interest outlining why they are suitable candidates for the bursary by the deadline posted below.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: June 30, 2017
Applications should be directed via email to:email@example.com
Subject line: Mary Leliveld Fund
Triathlon BC reserves the right not to disburse funds in any given year if applicants are deemed suitably unqualified.