The Local Sport Relief Fund has been developed to provide one-time financial relief for non-profit, community level sport organizations, clubs and associations at risk of collapse or insolvency due to the impacts of COVID-19. The fund is made possible through financial assistance of the Government of Canada, support from the Province of B.C. and administered through viaSport British Columbia.
The goal of the funding is to support local sport organizations that have been significantly impacted by COVID-19. The Province of B.C. recognizes the importance of community-based sport organizations and has allocated this funding from the Government of Canada to help in their recovery.
Eligible organizations are invited to apply for up to $7,500 to help offset fixed and operating costs. Funding must support administration and operational needs for an eventual return to sport, and new sport programming or initiatives are ineligible.
What organizations are eligible?
Applications may be submitted by organizations that are:
- Non-profit local sport organizations & affiliated clubs
- Non-profit local sport organizations, which exist for the sole purpose of serving underrepresented populations and have well-established sport programming. Underserved populations include Indigenous peoples, girls & women, LGBTQ+, low-income individuals, persons with disabilities, ethnic or religious minorities, and newcomers to Canada or refugees.
All organizations must be located in British Columbia and focus on sport delivery at the local or community level. Organizations must be not-for-profit and have a B.C. registered society or CRA charity number. For-profit organizations and those with a provincial scope of delivery are not eligible, including viaSport’s funded Provincial Sport, Disability Sport, Multi-Sport and Regional Alliance partners.
Applicants who have applied to the Local Sport Relief Fund previously (Intake 1), may apply again, only if:
- They were not selected for any funding in the previous intake
- They did not apply for the maximum of $7,500. In this case, they may apply for additional funding but cannot exceed a total request of $7,500 across the two intakes. For example, if your request of $5,000 was fulfilled in Intake 1, you are now able to apply for a maximum of $2,500
- Note application deadline: April 30, 2021.
Guidelines & Forms
- PROGRAM GUIDELINES – MARCH 2021
- LOCAL SPORT RELIEF FUND – FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- APPLICATION QUESTIONS (please note all applications must be completed online)
- LOCAL SPORT RELIEF FUND – FINAL REPORT