On the heels of Dr. Henry’s May 25’s announcement, the team at Triathlon BC is working with viaSport and Government to finalize key messaging around restrictions specific to our sport! ViasSport’s newly release Return to Sport Plan (June 1) identifies the gradual, stepped return to sport in our province.
Under the current restrictions (Step 1), Outdoor, Indoor and High Performance Sport is subject to some restrictions:
- Practices and competition allowed for youth and adults within their home club*
- Physical distance not required on field of play (i.e. contact is allowed)
- Off field of play, physical distance of 2 m must be maintained
- Travel allowed to home club only (and cannot cross travel zones)
- Maximum group size for adults and varsity sport is 50 (if group is a mix of youth and adult, 50 person maximum must be followed)
- No maximum group size for youth to allow for more flexibility(e.g. adult supervision)
- No spectators
- Same restrictions that were in place prior to May 25
- 3 m physical distancing required for children and adults on field of play
- Adult sport limited to two people
- No spectators
- Travel to home club only (and cannot cross travel zones)
HIGH PERFORMANCE SPORT
- Sport Canada carded athletes (Canadian Elite or Podium levels) may travel across the three travel zones
- Canadian Sport Institute Pacific identified athletes** who are not Sport Canada carded can train, travel and compete within their travel zone
Definitions related to the Restart Plan specific to sport (GATHERINGS AND EVENTS–May 28, 2021):
*Home Club: means the sport organization, club or facility with,or at which,a person is registered for ongoing sport programming
High-Performance Athlete: means a person who is identified by the Canadian Sport Institute Pacific as a high–performance athlete affiliated with an accredited provincial or national sports organization
Please remember: The intention of the Restart plan is to slowly return to activities. Clubs and events are asked to turn the dimmer slowly when planning sport’s return to programming.
- Stay Local. Play and train within your home club environment.
- Physical Distance within sport is NOT required within outdoor setting.
- No cohorts required.
- HP athletes must remain within their health zones.
- Adult and Youth are now under same considerations.
- Home Club only. Travel still restricted.
- Limit of 50 single-club participants.
- No spectators permitted.
Transitions between Steps is dependent on case counts, hospitalizations and vaccination rates.
viaSport Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Gathering and Events Order
Travel Restrictions in BC
B.C. Centre for Disease Control
Mask Mandate Order
COVID-19 (Limits on Actions and Proceedings) Regulation
Workplace Safety (December 16, 2020)
Government of BC COVID-19 Restrictions Information
As we begin to accelerate through the Return to Sport, Triathlon BC will continue to keep you informed. Check back for updates regularly.