Triathlon BC membership is an investment in yourself as an athlete and contributes to sport development, Provincially, Nationally and Internationally.
Triathlon BC is a registered non-profit, member-based organization that is the recognized governing body for the sport of triathlon in British Columbia. We undertake a number of important duties and responsibilities on behalf athletes, coaches, clubs, race directors and officials to ensure the growth and development of the sport across the province, and are affiliated to Triathlon Canada and the International Triathlon Union (ITU).
Membership with Triathlon BC provides benefits to support and assist you in your participation at every level, from the grass roots entry level participant to the high performance athlete striving for excellence. Your membership adds to the strength of Triathlon BC, and the ability to support its members by giving them a voice across BC and Canada.
- Promotes the growth and development of the sport across BC.
- Implements and interpret the rules of play.
- Ensures events are safe and fair for all participants.
- Provide insurance coverage for all sanctioned training activities and sport competitions.
- Trains and assigns officials to sanctioned events.
- Provides coach training and assist in the certification process.
Annual Membership Details
Membership is effective from January 1st to December 31st of each year, with a pro-rated membership available beginning October 1st for athletes returning to training for next year’s season. You must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident to qualify for Triathlon BC membership.
Triathlon BC insurance only covers medical costs above what would normally be provided by BC Medical Services Plan (MSP) while you are participating in approved Club training sessions and Triathlon BC-sanctioned events.
The medical insurance benefits provided as part of the membership provides only extended health coverage, such as splints, physio and massage therapy, etc. Any emergency medical costs are the sole responsibility of the participant. In the province of BC, that is normally covered by the provincial health plan that is provided to residents of BC.
Unfortunately, member insurance does not cover damage or loss of equipment.
To obtain a Club discount, your associated training club must be an affiliate to Triathlon BC. Affiliated clubs are listed on our clubs page.
Triathlon BC’s annual membership provide many benefits to the member, including:
- Fostering regional development through the support and development of youth, age group, Officials, clubs and elite programs.
- Supporting sport education opportunities, including NCCP Coach Certification and Officials Clinics.
- Supporting special events, including the Annual Athlete Gala, Silent Auctions and Annual Race Director, Official and Volunteer Awards.
- Supporting the development of Canada’s next Olympians.
- Eligibility to receive Provincial and National Team designation.
- Eligibility to receive High Performance funding.
- Eligibility to compete in the BC Summer, Americas Master Games and Canada Summer Games.
- Eligibility to receive entry discounts for safe, sanctioned, quality events.
- Eligibility to enroll in the Canadian Athlete Insurance Program (CAIP).
- Receive a complimentary issue of Triathlon BC’s in house annual magazine!
- Eligible to qualify to represent Canada at the ITU World Championship.
- Discounted Clinic fees.
- Discounts with our affiliate partners, Rudy Project, F2C Nutrition and Fortius Sport & Health.*
*Save up to 25% off select performance analyses, services and lodge accommodations at Fortius Sport & Health. Redeem here using promo code TriFortius2018.
Annual Membership Structure
Annual Triathlon BC membership is recommended for any athlete, regardless of age or ability, and mandatory for all active officials and coaches that are involved in the sport. Our annual rates are listed in the table below.
Please note, as noted in the table below. Effective with the 2019 season, provincial Triathlon BC membership fees remain unchanged, however, a membership fees will change as a result of an increase in Triathlon Canada affiliation fees; “Triathlon Canada’s Board of Directors will raise the national body’s portion of annual membership dues in 2019 from the current $5 to $15 for adults and from the current $3 to $6 for youth.”
Revenue derived from annual membership sales are used to offset the cost of sport development, including but not limited to high performance athlete development, annual athlete, club, event and activity insurance, Officials subsidies and coach development throughout the province.
Note, the fees indicated in the table below include Triathlon Canada athlete affiliation fees ($5/Adults & $3/Youth/Junior)
|2019 MEMBERSHIP CATEGORY||TRIATHLON BC MEMBERSHIP||TRIATHLON CANADA AFFILIATION||TOTAL|
|Individual Adult Member||$60.00||$15.00||$75.00|
|Adult Members belonging to a Triathlon BC affiliated club||$55.00||$15.00||$70.00|
|Junior Member (16-19 yrs)||$17.00||$6.00||$23.00|
|Youth Member (15 and Under)||$12.00||$6.00||$18.00|
Athletes Racing Out of Canada
Triathlon BC members are covered whilst competing in sanctioned events across Canada only. Coverage does not extend to out of country activities or events.
Please note, when racing outside of Canada, Triathlon BC members are not covered by member insurance. It is highly recommend to purchase and obtain out of country insurance PRIOR to departure.
For out of country athletes competing in BC, it is strongly recommended that travel and medical coverage is purchased from the home territory PRIOR to arriving in BC.
Your Information and Privacy is Important
Collecting Personal Information – Triathlon BC collects basic personal information about its Board of Directors, financial supporters, members, coaches, officials, managers and staff. This information is collected only as it relates to an operating program or organizational activity, and is collected for the following purposes:
- To establish and maintain a responsible relationship with these interested individuals and to provide ongoing service.
- To understand needs and preferences in order to better meet service expectations.
- To manage and develop organizational operations; and
- To meet legal and regulatory requirements.
This information is considered confidential, and is protected as such. To find out more check out Triathlon BC’s Personal Privacy Protection Policy.
National Sport Trust Fund
Triathlon BC’s Pool to Podium program has been created to bring high performance athletes from a provincial level to an international performance standard. These athletes have been identified as meeting and/or exceeding strict eligibility criteria. It brings together top tier athlete support, advanced coaching, intensive training, and international caliber competition opportunities. Donations made to the Pool to Podium program will be used to offset the cost of facility rentals, routine health and wellness screening, physiological testing and assessment, training, travel and cost of competitions for developing young athletes on the cusp of making our National Team.