Title: Technical Director
Reports to: Executive Director
Status: Hourly Contract
Triathlon BC is the provincial governing body for multisport in British Columbia. As a not-for-profit organization, we are a volunteer-led organization that delivers programs to support the growth and development of multisport athletes, coaches, officials, clubs and events across the province.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Technical Director will be responsible for the ongoing development, implementation and oversight of Triathlon BC’s world-renowned Officials Department, including the assignment of officials to Local, Regional, Provincial and in some cases, National events.
The Technical Director also ensures the ongoing development and recruitment, training, retention and supervision of provincial officials, and provides oversight and guidance of provincial level 1 and level 2 officials throughout British Columbia.
Where applicable, the Technical Director liaises with sanctioned events and other governing bodies, provides education and development opportunities and other activities as agreed upon.
The position will offer flexibility to work from a suitable home office.
Duties and Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Recruit, hire, train, and develop knowledgeable, energetic, and inspiring officials to fulfill event requirements
- Develop and manage event assignment schedules to ensure full coverage at all events
Provide the Board of Directors with monthly technical reports
- Assist the Board Director (Sanctioning) by performing a preliminary review of all sanction requests to ensure they are complete, and meet sanction requirements.
- Compile, maintain and distribute, in a timely manner, complete sanction forms to Head Officials for review.
- Contribute reporting requirements as part of the Organization’s team
- Organize and facilitate annual Officials Conference.
- Cross-reference previous Head Referee (HR) reports with sanction packages to ensure issues have been addressed.
- Liaise with Race Directors and assist the Director Sanctioning as required.
- Monitor inventory of, and timely distribution of, Head Referee Officials bags throughout the province and distribution of event related material; Officials vests, shirts and whistles.
- Monitor, document and track all accidents/race incidents and liaise with Executive Director (ED) and insurance representatives as necessary.
- Ensures all relevant post event reports are collected in a timely manner and event reports housed in the Triathlon BC office.
- Establish and maintain an up to date database of all Technical Officials (TO), their Officiating experience and training.
- Maintain all online forms and documents for Technical Officials.
- Facilitate regular Technical Committee Meetings, take minutes, record and action decisions.
- Maintain the Technical Official assignments schedule.
- Ensure that Technical Officials and HRs have all necessary reports and forms for each race.
- Maintain database of Head Referee reports
- Be available, in addition with other senior appointed Technical Officials, to respond to urgent questions from Referees on race day.
- In partnership with Triathlon Canada, Identify training and mentoring opportunities for new and existing Technical Officials.
- Ensure high profile races (BC Summer Games, Western Canada Summer Games, Qualification Races, etc) are suitably staffed with technical officials.
- Prepare an Annual Report of department activity for the Executive Director, in time for the Annual General Meeting.
- Where necessary, prepare annually, or as required, Triathlon BC Rules annex
- Verify assignments, submit timely cheque requisitions for all assignments.
- Manage Race Director invoicing where more than two officials present.
- Manage the technical pages on the Triathlon BC web site
- Perform other related duties.
- Completion of clear Criminal Record Check and organizational screening required; Safe Sport Training required
- Able to travel to attend identified sanctioned events, access to personal vehicle is required; Valid Class 5 Drivers License issued in British Columbia required;
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada and proficient in English
The successful applicant is expected to be in regular contact with the Triathlon BC team and to be responsive via phone, email, internal messaging systems, etc. in a timely manner.
This is an independent contractor position with variable hours not to exceed 8 Hours each week unless otherwise authorized. The specific number of hours each week may vary depending on seasonal requirements and what is necessary to deliver upon the agreed upon programs and duties of the position.
Triathlon BC is committed to creating an inclusive and diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, family status or disability.
Please forward resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Competition will remain open until filled by a qualified candidate.
We thank all applicants, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.