Triathlon BC hosts a
series of draft legal workshops each year, where athletes can have their
skills fine tuned and evaluated. Upon successful evaluation, an athlete
earns a draft legal certificate, and is placed on a list of eligible
athletes. Upcoming Clinics are listed below:
2016 YOUTH & JUNIOR DRAFT CERTIFICATION CLINICS
April 23 - Kelowna
April 30 - Victoria
May 7 - Vancouver
To register, please complete the REGISTRATION FORM HERE.
INTRODUCTION TO KIDS OF STEEL®The Kids of Steel (KOS) program is Triathlon Canada's National Youth Development Program. It is aimed at athletes 7 (and under) to 19 years of age. At the age of 16, competitors become eligible to compete in some of the sprint races listed in the adult calendar.
Download Triathlon Canada's Kids of Steel Parent Guide HERE
The Kids of Steel® (KOS) program includes:
- Specific age to distance competitions
- Clinics and camps
- Expos and events that raise awareness of participation in Triathlon, Duathlon and Aquathlon.
KOS Mission StatementTo guide youth development in triathlon and related multi-sport events through delivery of a standardized program across Canada.
The Kids of Steel® Program Promotes:
- Healthy, Active Living - Triathlon as a lifestyle
- Lifelong Participation - Recreation and competitive streams; developmentally appropriate training
- Safety - Distance and equipment regulations; National race sanctioning standards
- Fun - enjoyment of sport, celebration of personal excellents and camaraderie
- Skill Development
FoundationsThe foundations underlying the Kids of Steel® development model and program guidelines are based on sound theory, encompassing:
- comprehensive research in youth sport
- physiological, psychological and social growth development patterns
- maturational issues
- National sport development models
- Olympic values
- Age categories are based on an athlete's age as of December 31st of the current season.
- Athletes are not permitted to "race up" in an older age category or longer race distance.
KOS AGE/DISTANCE RULES (MAXIMUM)
|7 & U
|8 to 9
|10 to 11
|12 to 13
|14 to 15
|16 to 19
|18 to 23 (U23)
KOS AGE/EQUIPMENT GUIDELINES
|Under 7 to 13 years
- No aerobars permitted
- Clipless pedals permitted (recessed cleat, entry on both sides of pedal.
- Wheels: minimum 16 spokes, 2.4mm maximum spoke depth, metal rim, 25mm maximum rim depth, 23C minimum tire width
|45 x 16|
|14 to 19 years
- Draft-legal aerobars permitted
- All clipless pedal systems permitted
- Wheels: most race wheels permitted as per UCI rules. 60mm maximum rim depth.
|52 x 16|
EXTERNAL SCHOOL SPORTS CREDIT PROGRAM
If you are a high-school-aged athlete, member of Triathlon BC, and have fulfilled the minimum eligibility for any of the approved programs listed below, please contact Triathlon BC to request a letter confirming your participation and to earn high school graduating credits!
Athlete 10, Zone Select Team
Athlete 11, BC Athlete Assistance Program
Athlete 12, Provincial Team - Nationals, Junior National Development Team or U23
National Development Team
A one-page information sheet is available as a pdf HERE.
A more comprehensive External Schools Credit Booklet is available for download HERE.
To access the entire External Sport Credentials Program course booklet that will provide detailed information on the program, please visit the Ministry of Educations website at www.bced.gov.bc.ca/graduation/courseinfo. Select “Course Information for the Graduation Program” and go to Chapter 3 External Sport Course Information.